Sunday, September 9, 2007

Post, Emily...

I ran into this excellent article this morning on CNET, and here is my response as both an email and Qlippit.




http://news.com.com/Say+so+long+to+traditional+letter+writing/2009-1025_3-6204248.html?tag=cd.top

Stefanie and Sabena -

Thanks so much for this article. It is a subject near and dear to my heart. In a profound sense, civility, upon which civilization itself depends, is more media dependent than we would like to think. It is heartening to see this topic not only showing up in the conversation, but receiving a considered response from readers.

I would like to offer an alternative point of view, not to the notion that kids should be communicating using means beyond email and IM, but to the idea that digital communication must be either sterile or technically challenging. At Qlip Media, we have spent the past fifteen months working on just one problem - how to let anyone describe or explain anything in a way that not conveys both the information and the intention. The trick is to make it as easy as email or IM. We think we have solved that problem with a free product that can be learned by anyone in one or two minutes; works with all email, web sites, blogs, and forums; and is faster and easier to use even than traditional email. I respectfully offer you this Qlippit, which I made in less time than it has taken me to write this note, for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Chris Beall

http://www.qlipmedia.com/ShowQlippit.php?ID=669d4c6267e23713e5d14e63e338a4b50b3ecd3355fc8c9b3b4b755da52b9fba


1 comment:

Telemill said...

Good response to this article! Yes, I can see clearly that putting your voice onto a message adds a kind of "connect", "true voice" to statements. The absence of that "voice" in your head/or ear has been a problem over the years with communication (e-mail, websites, discussion boards). We have gotten to be so -- impersonal.

I personally like Qlipboard and making Qlippits for E-bay auctions . . . because it allows me to PERSONALIZE my sale. Let people know that there is an actual person behind the sale. I'm hoping it will create a better relationship with my buyers. We will see, and I will make sure to let you know about it.

I enjoyed your response to that article. Can't wait to see what insights you have on other issues.